The below listed rules are for the 2016 show but are likely to remain the same for 2018, please check back here for updates as they occur.
If you have any questions about the rules or show protocol, please feel free to contact David Ellis (Our President).
All State Meeting attendees are encouraged to consider participation in the Honey Show.
Ribbon awards will be issued to the winners in each class.
First Place-Blue Ribbon
Second Place-Red Ribbon
Third Place-White Ribbon
Best in Show Place-Medallion Ribbon
The Judges for the Honey Show will be Brutz English and Lynn Kelton. Both are University of Georgia/Young Harris College Bee Institute certified Welsh Honey Judges.
Winners must be present at Closing Convocation to receive the ribbons and bragging rights.
- Only registered Alabama Beekeepers Association members, in attendance at the State meeting, may enter.
- Judges and stewards are excluded from competition.
- The Alabama Beekeepers Association Honey Show Board reserves the right to limit the number of entries on a first-come, first-admitted basis.
- There are fourteen show classes:
- Extracted honey
- light Extracted honey
- Amber Extracted honey
- Dark Chunk honey (comb honey in a jar with liquid honey)
- Black jar honey
- Cut-comb (comb honey in a box)
- Creamed honey
- Beeswax cake (a single molded piece of two pounds or more)
- Candle (poured or dipped, straight or ornamental)
- Cosmetic – lip balm, lotions, cream, gloss
- Original bee-related photography
- Original bee-related art
- Beekeeping gadget
Contestant may enter in any or all classes but may enter only once per class. The same jars of honey cannot be entered in both the black jar class and another extracted honey class.
- All honey and beeswax entries must have been produced by the submitter and within the last 12 months. This time restriction does not apply to entries in photography, art, and gadgets. All photography, art and gadget entries must be the product or work of the entrant.
- All entries for honey, except for black jar, and candles must be submitted in triplicate: i.e., three matching jars of honey, three boxes of cut-comb, or three candles.
- Only one black jar honey is required.
- Submit extracted honey in standard one-pound queen-line jars; either plastic or glass is acceptable. Tamper-proof seals are not acceptable and should be removed prior to submitting your honey for judging.
- For extracted classes of honey, the Honey Show Intake Official can help advise the appropriateness of the honey to a particular class. However, the ultimate responsibility of deciding which class to enter the honey is solely that of the entrant.
- Submit chunk honey in standard one-pound chunk honey jars with wide mouths and straight sides. Insert only one piece of comb in jar. Tamper-proof seals are not acceptable and should be removed prior to submitting your honey for judging.
- The sole criterion in the black jar class is flavor. Your single (1)jar entry will be placed into black jars by staff. Tamper-proof seals are not acceptable and should be removed prior to submitting your honey for judging.
- Honey with moisture over 18.6% will be disqualified.
- Beeswax entries must be pure beeswax. Dyes, added fragrances, glitter or paints are not acceptable. Candle wicks and wick retainers are permitted.
- Art and photography must be presented in a self-standing frame, and each accompanied with a 3 x 5 card giving the title and brief “story” behind the piece.
- Photography entries must be single photos. Multiple photographs in a single frame are not permitted.
- All cosmetic entries must have a card stating the approximate percentage of “products of the hive” – honey, beeswax, propolis, pollen, royal jelly, venom, et al – that the product contains.
- Do not label products in any way. An identifying code sticker will be assigned to your entry at registration.
- Entries may be submitted for the honey show at:
- 8:00 – 8:30 AM Friday, 21 September 2018
- 12:00 – 1:00 PM Friday, 21 September 2018
- 8:00 – 8:30 AM Saturday, 22 September 2018
- Entries will not be accepted after 8:30 AM Saturday 22 September 2018, at which time the room will be closed so that judging may begin.
END of honey show rules